Dr. Isaac L. Wornom III has been one of Richmond’s most accomplished plastic surgeons for 30 years. He’s been consistently ranked among Richmond’s “Top Docs” in plastic surgery by Richmond Magazine since the ratings were created over 15 years ago, in addition to being board certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
He is a former president of the Richmond Academy of Medicine, the American Cleft Palate & Craniofacial Association, and the Virginia Society of Plastic Surgery.
His practice is focused on expert cosmetic surgery of the face, breast, and body; reconstructive breast surgery; and skin cancer treatment. He has also been one of the primary plastic surgeons for children in Richmond since his arrival here in 1989, with extensive experience in the treatment of cleft lip and palate, congenital moles, and vascular malformations in children. His interest in helping children even extends his yearly missionary trips to Honduras, where he provides important plastic surgery care for children in need.
Outside of work, he and his wife Susan have three successful, grown children, and are active members of Second Baptist Church, where Dr. Wornom has taught Sunday school to youngsters for 30 years and counting. He stays active by swimming regularly, playing golf, and caring for his yard. Like all of the surgeons at Richmond Plastic Surgeons, he prides himself on his ability to gift his patients with individualized, personal care.
- Emory University, Plastic Surgery
- University of Pennsylvania / Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Craniomaxillofacial Surgery
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, General Surgery
- M.D. University of Virginia
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Washington & Lee University, B.A. in English, summa cum laude
- All-American, Men’s Swimming
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Omicron Delta Kappa
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American Cleft Palate – Craniofacial Association (President 2010)
- American Association of Plastic Surgeons
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Craniofacial Surgery
- American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Richmond Academy of Medicine (past-president)
- Virginia Society of Plastic Surgeons (past-president)
- Medical Society of Virginia
- The Jurkiewicz Society
- Top Doctor Award in Plastic Surgery, Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2019
- Second Baptist Church, Richmond, Virginia
- High School Sunday School teacher
- Wornom IL III, Challenges in Cleft Care in Underdeveloped Countries. In: Berkowitz, S, ed. Cleft Lip and Palate, Diagnosis and Management, Heidelberg, Springer, 2013.
- Cohen IK, Diegelmann RF, Yager DR, Wornom IL III, Crossland MC. Wound care and wound healing. In: Schwartz SI, ed. Principles of Surgery, New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 1999.
- Wornom IL III, Buchman SR. Biochemical and Clinical Aspects. In: Cohen IK, Diegelmann RF, Lindblad WJ, eds. Bone and Cartilaginous Tissue in Wound Healing. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders Co.; 1992.
- Baird WL, Wornom IL III, Jurkiewicz MJ. Maxillofacial trauma. In: Jurkiewicz MJ, Krizek TJ, Mathes SJ, Ariyan S., eds. Plastic Surgery, Principles and Practice. St. Louis, MO: Mosby; 1990.
- Wornom IL III. Surgical intervention: Grafts and flaps in chronic wound care. In: Krasner D, ed. A Clinical Source Book for Health Care Professionals. King of Prussia, PA: Health Management Publications; 1990.
- Wornom IL III, Adams JS, Dinardo LJ III. Radiation induced angiosarcoma of the orbit. Presented at the annual meeting of the Virginia Society of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgeons, May 2001.
- Wornom IL III, Ward JW, Smith A. A unique program for providing craniofacial care to children from the third world. Presented at the American Cleft Palate – Craniofacial Association, Atlanta, Georgia, April 2000.
- Wornom IL III, Ward JW. The outcome of cranial vault reshaping. Presented at the American Cleft Palate – Craniofacial Association, New Orleans, Louisiana, April 1997.
- Wornom IL III, Diana M., Bandak AZ, Dinardo LJ, Neifeld JP. Reconstruction of parasymphyseal mandibular defects. Presented at the Virginia Surgical Society, Williamsburg, Virginia May 1995.
- Wornom IL III. Reconstruction of a large skull defect in a three-year-old with split cranial bone graft. Presented at the American Cleft Palate Craniofacial Association, Tampa, Florida, April 1994.
- Wornom IL III, Ning JT. The early effects of a single intraoperative immersion in beta glycerol phosphate and electromagnetic field exposure on onlay bone grafts to the facial skeleton. Presented at the American Cleft Palate – Craniofacial Association, Toronto, May 1994.
- Giacobbe A, Wornom IL III. An anatomic study and a clinical review of the vascularized pericranial flap. Presented at the Southeastern Society
of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons Hilton Head, South Carolina, June 1993.
- Wornom IL III, Trivelpiece RM, Holloway KL. Acquired velopharyngeal incompetence following transoral cervical decompression. Management with the orticochea pharyngoplasty. Presented at the American Cleft Palate – Craniofacial Association, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, April 1993.
- Wornom IL III, Ning JT. The effects of a single intraoperative immersion in various chemical agents and electromagnetic field exposure on onlay bone grafts to the facial skeleton. Presented at the International Symposium on Craniofacial Surgery, Chicago 1992.
- Wornom IL III, Ning JT. The effects of a single intraoperative immersion in various chemical agents and electromagnetic field exposure on onlay bone grafts to the facial skeleton. Presented at the Surgical Forum of the American College of Surgeons, Chicago, October 1991.
- Wornom IL III, Gonzales S, Pozez A. Facial reconstruction after treatment of mucormycosis: The combined use of bone grafts and free tissue transfer. Presented at the International Society of Craniomaxillofacial Surgery, Santiago de Compostela, Spain, June 1991.
- Wornom IL III, Neifeld, JP, Mehrhof AI, Young HF, Chinchilli, VM. Closure of craniofacial defects after cancer resection. Presented at Society of Head and Neck Surgeons, Maui, Hawaii, May 1991.
- Buchman SR, Wornom IL III, Whitaker LA, Bartlett SP. Use of frozen membranous allografts in cranioorbital reconstruction. First place in Robert Ivy Society Resident Program, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, March 1990. Presented at the Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons, Newport, Rhode Island, October 1989.
- Rosen HM, Wornom IL III. Definitive surgical correction of the short face syndrome. Presented at the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgery, San Francisco, October, 1989.
- Buchman S, Wornom IL III, Whitaker LA, Bartlett SP. Experimental studies of the regulation of craniofacial growth. First place in the Robert Ivy Society Resident Program, Hershey, Pennsylvania, March 1989. Presented at the Plastic Surgery Research Council, Atlanta, Georgia, October 1989, and American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, San Francisco, October 1989.
- Wornom IL III, Toennies K, Buchman S, Bartlett SP, Whitaker LA. Quantitative assessment of bone graft survival with 3-D CT scanning. Second Place in Robert Ivy Society Resident Program, Hershey, Pennsylvania, 1989. Presented at the 2nd International Congress of Craniofacial Surgery, Florence, Italy, June 1989.
- Alazraki NP, Soberman MS, Wornom IL III, Coleman JJ III and Sink JD. Radionuclide gated blood pool and Te-99 RP-30 imaging in latissimus dorsi dynamic cardiomyoplasty of the right ventricle in a canine model. Presented at the 74th Scientific Assembly of the Radiological Society of America.
Soberman MS, Wornom IL III, Coleman JJ III, Sink JD. Effect of varying stimulation parameters in Latissimus dorsi dynamic cardiomyoplasty. Presented at the First Purdue Conference on Cardiac Assistance with Skeletal Muscle. October 15-26, 1988.
- Soberman MS, Wornom IL III, Simm PA, Coleman JJ III, Sink JD. Latissimus dorsi dynamic cardiomyoplasty of the right ventricle. Presented at the 3rd International Symposium on Transformed Skeletal Muscle for Cardiac Assist and Repair.
Wornom IL III, Soberman M, Sink JD, Coleman JJ III. Latissimus dorsi dynamic cardiomyoplasty in a canine model. Presented at the Plastic Surgery Research Council, San Francisco, California, May 1988.
- Wornom IL III, Hester TR, Jurkiewicz MJ, Eros T. Further thoughts on total reconstruction of the “end-stage” cleft lip and palate deformity. Presented at the American Cleft Palate Association, Williamsburg, Virginia, April 1988.
- Wornom IL III, Zubowicz VN. Trismus in infancy. Poster presentation at the American Cleft Palate Association, San Antonio, Texas, March 1987.