Whether your scar is small or large, how it affects your confidence and well-being is very personal. If you have a bothersome scar, we encourage you to learn about scar revision at Richmond Plastic Surgeons. Contact us today to schedule your personal consultation.
What Should I Expect on The Day of My Scar Revision?
Scar revision is performed using several techniques. Your surgeon chooses a technique based on the type and nature of the scar.
- Injecting steroid medication directly into the scar is the most common first measure for scar revision. This should eliminate any itching, redness, and burning associated with keloids.
- If steroid injections do not produce the desired results, your surgeon may recommend surgery to remove the scar tissue. The surgeon uses techniques that minimize the scars resulting from the procedure.
- Skin grafts may be needed for contractures. The extra tissue allows for a greater range of movement and reduces the appearance of the original scar.
- Z-Plasty is a technique that revises a scar by moving it closer to a natural fold or crease in your skin. The technique also helps in cases where the skin is under tension caused by a contracture.
- Dermabrasion is effective for treating some facial scars.