Sharline Z. Aboutanos, M.D., F.A.A.P., F.A.C.S.
Sharline Z. Aboutanos, M.D., F.A.A.P., F.A.C.S.
Dr. Sharline Zacur Aboutanos is a native of Miami, Florida. She graduated with Honors in Biology from the University of Miami. She received her medical degree from the University of Miami School of Medicine and graduated with Research Distinction.
Dr. Aboutanos completed her residency in plastic and reconstructive surgery at VCU Health Systems/MCV Hospitals. She has extensive training in breast reduction, breast reconstruction, breast augmentation and all types of cosmetic surgery. During this time, she completed two additional years of research. She has presented her work at national and international meetings, received awards, and published on these topics. She was recognized for her dedication to patients and work ethic with both Intern of the Year and S. Dawson Theogaraj Scholarship Awards. Dr. Aboutanos is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Prior to joining Richmond Plastic Surgeons, Dr. Sharline Aboutanos completed a fellowship in craniofacial and pediatric plastic surgery with nationally acclaimed surgeon, Dr. Louis Morales, Jr., at Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah. Her extensive training included cleft lip and palate surgeries, skull reshaping surgery/treatment, ear reconstruction, skin lesion removal, and vascular malformation removal. Dr. Aboutanos is dedicated to the treatment of children with craniofacial abnormalities and congenital malformations. She has been on several mission trips to Guatemala and Honduras.
Outside of plastic surgery, Dr. Aboutanos speaks four languages and enjoys running. She describes herself as an artist and paints with watercolor. She lives with her husband and two children in Richmond.
- Primary Children’s Medical Center, Salt Lake City, Utah, Craniomaxillofacial and Pediatric Plastic Surgery, Director: Louis Morales, Jr., MD
- VCU Medical Center/Medical College of Virginia, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Medical School
- M.D. University of Miami, with Research Distinction
- University of Miami, B.S. in Biology, minor in Chemistry, with Honors
- Phi Beta Kappa
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Primary Training in Hyperbaric Medicine
- American Society of Plastic Surgery
- American College of Surgeons
- American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association
- Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Virginia Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Top Doctor Award in Plastic Surgery, Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2019
- Cs Dawson Theogaraj Award in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2009
- Virginia American College of Surgery Humanitarian Resident Travel Grant, 2009
- Third Prize, Virginia Committee on Trauma Paper Presentation, 2006. “Multi-Dimensional Protocols: How a Team Approach to Patient Care Can Influence Outcomes in a Trauma ICU”
- Lazar Greenfield Award for Humera Surgical Society, 2005. “Prostpective Evaluation of an Extubation Protocol in a Trauma ICU Population”
- First Prize, VCU Health Systems Resident Research Day, 2004. “Duck Hepatitis Core Antigen Cross-Presents, Activates and Matures Dendritic Cells”
- Jedi Knight Award in Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2002
- Intern of the Year Award in General Surgery, 2001
- “Pediatric Plastic Surgery: From Head to Toe.” Bon Secours Pediatric Nursing Symposium. Richmond, VA; May 6, 2014.
- “Cosmetic and Reconstructive Breast Surgery.” Support Your Girls. Bon Secours Cancer Institute. Richmond, VA; May 1, 2014.
- “Abnormal Head Shapes in the Pediatric Population.” Pediatric Dental Associates. Richmond, VA; February 2014.
- “Craniofacial Trauma in Children.” PanAmerican Trauma Association Meeting. Chilean and International Surgical Congress. Santiago, Chile; November 2013.
- “Trauma and Pregnancy.” PanAmerican Trauma Association Meeting. Chilean and International Surgical Congress. Santiago, Chile; November 2013.
- “Abnormal Head Shapes in the Pediatric Population.” St. Mary’s Hospital Pediatric Roundtable Talk. Richmond, VA; November 2011.
- “Management of Craniofacial Clefts.” University of Utah Speech Pathology Department, Salt Lake City, UT, February 2010.
- “Sagittal Synostosis: Surgical Approach and Outcomes.” Utah Facial Surgery Meeting, Park City, UT, February 2010.
- “The Pregnant Trauma Patient.” Ninth Annual VCU Health Systems Trauma Symposium, Richmond, VA, 2008.
- Aboutanos M, Mora F, Duong M, Wolf L, Anderson C, Denwiddie M, Sahhar I, Rodas E, Aboutanos S, Duane T, Malhotra A, Ivatury R. Inexpensive Telemedicine Applications and Trauma System Development in Latin America: Ecuador’s Experience. In: Jordanova M and Lievens F, eds. Med-e-Tel 2007 Proceedings: Then International Educational and Networking Forum for eHealth, Telemedicine and Health ICT. Luxepro, April 2007. ISSN 1819-186X.
- Zacur S, Kaplan BJ. Esophageal Cancer. In: Dyke C and DeMaria EJ, eds. Surgical Attending Rounds, Third Edition. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2004.
- Aboutanos SZ, Spinos E, Blanchet NP. Angiographic delay, a viable alternative to surgical delay. Annals of Plastic Surgery. Manuscript accepted, publication pending.
- Aboutanos MB, Aboutanos SZ, Dompkowski D, Duane TD, Malhotra AK, Ivatury RR. Significance of motore vehicle crashes and pelvic injury on fetal mortality: A five-year institutional review. Journal of Trauma. 65(3):616-20, 2008.
- Pozez AL, Aboutanos SZ, Lucas VS. Diagnosis and treatment of uncommon wounds. Clinics in Plastic Surgery. 34(4)749-64, 2007.
- Aboutanos SZ, Aboutanos MB, Dompkowski D, Duane TD, Malhotra AK, Ivatury RR. Predictors of fetal oautcome in pregnant trauma patients: A five-year institutional review. The American Surgeon. 73(8):824-7, 2007.
- Aboutanos MB, Rodas E, Aboutanos SZ, Mora FE, Duane TM, Malhotra AK, Ivatury RR. Trauma education and care in the jungles of Ecuador: Where there is no Advanced Trauma Life Support. Journal of Trauma. 62(3):714-9, 2007.
- Aboutanos SZ, Duane TD, Malhotra AK, Borchers CT, Wakefield TA, Wolfe LG, Aboutanos MB, Ivatury RR. Prospective evaluation of an extubation protocol in a trauma intensive care unit population. The American Surgeon. 72(5):393-6, 2006.
- Aboutanos SZ, Aboutanos MB, Malhotra AK, Duane TM, Ivatury RR. Management of a pregnant patient with an open abdomen. Journal of Trauma. 59(5):1052-6, 2005.
- Chin CS, Miller CH, Graham L, Parviz M, Zacur S, Patel B, Duong A, Bear H. Bryostatin 1/ionomycin (B/I) ex vivo stimulation preferentially activates L-selectinlow tumor-sensitized lymphocytes. International Immunology. 16(9):1283-94, 2004.
- Whinney RR, Cohn SM, Zacur S. Fluid resuscitation for trauma patients in the 21st century. Current Opinion in Critical Care. 6:395-400, 2000.
Find Dr. Aboutanos on Richmond Plastic Surgeons Google+