Breast Augmentation Options: Breast Implants vs. Fat Transfer to Breasts
Breast augmentation is, without a doubt, the most popular plastic surgery procedure in the country. What many people don’t know is that breast augmentation isn’t the same for everyone. When it comes to getting the perfect breasts for your body, you have a couple of options. Today, we’re going to go over the different breast implants available for a traditional breast augmentation and a less invasive and more natural fat transfer procedure that many patients don’t know about.
What Can I Expect from Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation is a surgical cosmetic procedure in which breast implants are introduced into the body to add to the breasts’ overall size and shape. Many women choose to undergo breast augmentation to boost their self-confidence, give their body overall better proportions and improve the fullness of their breasts. Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure that requires anesthesia, incisions that may scar, and a two-week recovery period.
Types of Breast Implants
There are three different types of breast implants offered at Richmond Plastic Surgeons, including:
- Saline breast implants. These breast implants are filled with a sterile saltwater solution and are typically the more affordable breast implant option. FDA-cleared for patients 18 and older, saline breast implants are a safe and effective breast augmentation option.
- Silicone breast implants. Silicone breast implants are filled with a cohesive silicone gel, giving them a more natural look and feel when placed in the body. These implants are FDA-cleared for patients 22 and older.
- Gummy bear breast implants. These specially-designed silicone breast implants got their adorable name for their firm texture and signature teardrop shape. Like other silicone breast implants, these are only FDA-cleared for patients 22 and older.
What Can I Expect from Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation?
Fat transfer breast augmentation is a more holistic approach to the traditional breast augmentation. This procedure uses liposuction to gently harvest fat from one area of the body, which is then purified before being strategically injected into the breasts. This fat transfer process adds to the overall size and shape of the breast, requires less downtime than a traditional breast augmentation. Those who undergo fat transfer breast augmentation have the added benefit of contouring a portion of their body from which the fat is harvested, typically the midsection.
What are the Benefits of Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation?
There are many benefits to getting fat transfer breast augmentation at Richmond Plastic Surgeons, including:
- Minimal incisions or scarring
- Shorter recovery period than traditional breast augmentation
- Contours the donor area of the body with liposuction
- Adds to the volume and shape of the breast without implants
Are Breast Implants or is Fat Transfer Right for Me?
Both breast augmentation with breast implants and body fat transfer have their own sets of benefits and drawbacks. Traditional breast augmentation does require the use of general anesthesia and may produce scarring around the breast, but it provides dramatic, natural-looking results for patients that have very little natural breast tissue. Fat transfer breast augmentation is less invasive and produces more natural results, however, patients need an adequate amount of body fat to deliver desired results and results are limited to adding one to two cup sizes to a patient’s breasts. The best way to figure out which breast enhancement procedure is right for you is by scheduling a consultation with one of our expert plastic surgeons.
If you’re interested in learning more about your breast augmentation options, call our office today to schedule your one-on-one consultation with one of our board-certified plastic surgeons.