Breast Reduction in Richmond, VA
Bigger isn’t always better when it comes to breasts. Having breasts that are too large for your frame or lifestyle causes a range of problems, both emotional and physical. Breast reduction is a plastic surgery procedure that makes your breasts smaller and more appropriate for your body. Richmond Plastic Surgeons offers breast reduction for women in Richmond, Midlothian and surrounding areas of Virginia.
What is Breast Reduction?
Back and shoulder pain, self-consciousness, and poorly fitting clothes are just some of the problems experienced by women who have overly-large breasts. Fortunately, these and many other problems can be remedied with breast reduction surgery at Richmond Plastic Surgeons. The procedure removes excess soft tissue, skin, and fat in the breasts to achieve a more appropriate breast size and shape. After the surgery, your bras and clothing fit much better, and your body is no longer strained to carry the weight of your breasts.
Benefits of Breast Reduction
Many women are surprised by how many physical symptoms can be resolved with breast-reduction surgery. After your surgery you may experience:
- Less back, shoulder and neck pain
- Better posture
- Increased energy due to carrying less weight on your body
- Reduction of bruising and tenderness on the shoulders caused by bra straps
- Boosted confidence as you become more comfortable with your body
Who is the Ideal Candidate for Breast Reduction?
The best way to find out if you are a good candidate for breast reduction surgery is to meet with one of our plastic surgeons for a personal consultation, but the following questions are a good start.
- Do your breasts interfere with your activities?
- Do you feel self-conscious about the size of your breasts or the way your bras and clothing fit?
- Do your breasts cause pain in your neck, back, and shoulders?
- Do you have painful indentations on your shoulders, chest or back from your bra straps?
- Do you have chafing or irritation in the breast crease caused by the way your breasts hang on your chest?
What Do I Need to Do Before Having Breast Reduction?
An experienced plastic surgeon is an excellent resource for you as you consider the benefits of breast reduction surgery. Schedule a personal consultation at Richmond Plastic Surgeons to find out about the procedure and how the surgery will help you.
What Should I Expect on The Day of My Breast Reduction?
Reducing your breasts is accomplished by removing excess skin, fat, and tissue. Fat can be removed using a scalpel, liposuction or a combination of these techniques. Breast reduction is performed using general anesthesia for more extensive procedures or intravenous sedation for less extensive procedures.
The incisions are placed using one of three patterns, although each pattern can be modified based on your anatomy.
- An incision around the areola
- A keyhole-shaped incision that goes around the areola and then extends out slightly to form a triangular shape to the breast crease
- An anchor-shaped incision that starts above the areola goes around the areola then outward on each side of the areola
After the incisions are made, your plastic surgeon works with the soft tissue and skin to reduce breast size and shape. The nipple and areola may be repositioned on the breast to preserve a natural appearance. Liposuction may be used to sculpt the breast. The incisions are closed to tighten the skin and shape the breast.
How Long Does It Take to Perform Breast Reduction?
Breast reduction surgery takes one to three hours.
What to Expect After Breast Reduction
Your breasts are noticeably smaller immediately after the surgery. A sports bra is used to hold your breasts in place until you are fully healed. Discomfort, tenderness and bruising are normal, and these symptoms will gradually subside in the coming weeks. Healing from breast reduction surgery can take several months, and you will need to limit your activities until your plastic surgeon releases you. We schedule follow-up appointments to monitor your progress.
When Will I See the Results?
After several months, most of the swelling will subside. Full healing can take up to one year.
What Are Possible Complications of Breast Reduction?
Like other surgeries, breast reduction does have some inherent risks, such as adverse effects of the anesthesia, infection, and bleeding. These risks are rare in patients who are in good health and do not smoke. Working with an experienced plastic surgeon reduces your risk for developing:
- Sensation loss in the areola and/or nipples
- Uneven breast appearance
- Irregularities in breast size and shape
- Damage to nerves, muscles and blood vessels
- Chronic breast pain
- Discoloration of the skin
- Abnormalities in nipple and/or areola shape and size
How Long Will the Results of Breast Reduction Last?
Breast reduction is considered a permanent solution for women who have overly-large breasts, but some factors may enlarge your breasts:
- Weight gain
- Development of new breast tissue and/or fat
How Much Does Breast Reduction Cost in Richmond?
Breast reduction is considered elective in most cases, so it is not covered by medical insurance. After your consultation, we are better able to provide an accurate cost. We offer several convenient payment options, including financing through CareCredit®.
If your breasts are too large for your body, and you experience the physical and emotional effects of overly large breasts, now you can feel more comfortable with your breasts with breast reduction surgery at Richmond Plastic Surgeons. Contact us today to schedule a personal consultation.